Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dreams...

My friends always ask me what is my dream car? My dream girl? My dream job? But nobody actually asked me what my dream is? Not even my parents asked me what my dream is in life. So when i watched a episode of Glee, where one of my favourite comedian, Neil Patrick Harris, was a guest star. In that episode, he was out to destroy the dreams of the students when he could not fulfill his own.

That set me out to think... What is my dream? Or what was my dream? I shall start when i was in my junior days...

Then, i was only 11 years old. At a mere age, i knew i was infatuated with technology. Computers, electronics, TV, radio, etc. My dream at age 11 was to be a scientist. My role in this world would be to create new technologies that would benefit mankind, make things better in life for everyone and bring joy to the world. That was 14 years ago...

At age 14, my dreams were more focused. I realized i cannot be part of everything, we can only be good at one thing and average at everything else. I was deep into gaming. Weekends was burnt playing games at home. I spent all i had on gaming, even though it meant i had to go hungry in school. So what i dreamt to be? I wanted to the part of a team to develop a game played by gamers worldwide and be proud that it came from an island called Singapore and not from the US or Japan or Europe. My teacher laughed at me, telling me that there are so many games available in this world, why would i want to be in that. I told her, in five years time, working adults will be paying money to play games. That was 10 years ago...

The day i arrived at 21, i looked back on all i have done. And i came to realize again that i have drifted so far from my dream that i have no way of coming back. So i shifted my dream again. This time, i had more of a practical view in life. I wanted to make my first $1 million. I wanted to return the favour given to me by my parents for the past 20 years. As dreams are meant to be a target in life, i begin by spending close to $200k on my degree overseas. What irony... That was four years ago...

Now... As i watched the show and look back on my life... I've again changed my dream in life. For now, my dreams have led me down the road i've been taking. My love for technology has not changed, i got my Degree in IT and i loved computers, IT gadgets and became a part-time geek. My passion for gaming has not changed as well... I'm more practical as i don't burn weekends gaming. I'll just drool that the games that i cannot play and be satisfied by the ones i have. Lastly, my dream to earn my first $1 million is on the way as i learn about saving, investment and financial control over my finances. It's not fulfilled yet, but it's coming well along the way.

So now what is my dream?? My dream now is to find a loving wife, be a loving and faithful husband, a listening and ever-caring father. That's my next dream... Whether will i ever fulfill this dream, it's really hard to say... I'll just have to see how my future unfolds.

No comments: