Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Patriot Inside Me

There are dates that i look forward to every year. No matter where i am, those dates are noted in whatever possible way. Dates such as the Lunar New Year, Valentine's Day, birthdays, etc. No doubt the important dates will increase as we progress in life but i always look forward to August 9th of every year. That is the day we celebrate our independence, our freedom and our home.

Since my arrival to Melbourne six months ago, i've wondered how would i get to see the National Day Parade(NDP). I've always looked forward to watching the NDP as it signifies how great our country is. How much our people love our country and how spectacular a small country can celebrate the independence together as one. My answer came from a close friend of mine who is the organiser of the NDP party in Melbourne city. It was the answer i was waiting so long.

On the very day itself, there was hundreds of Singaporeans there. I've met up with all my friends and we chatted while we had food and drinks. It was great to see my friends but the main highlight was to watch the NDP on a live feed. It was really cool to watch it in a foreign country. My friends and i had mini flags and we waved about while we sing some of the songs. In Singapore when they stood up to sing the National Anthem, we all stood up and started singing it too. I can see that no matter how far we are, we are true blood Singaporeans. Nothing could ever disrupt this loyalty and patriotism for a country so small yet so influential.

My best moment was the closing of the parade when we sing a medley of songs and end with a recital of the National Pledge and a last round of the National Anthem. I felt like i was back home, together with my family and friends. I realise that i belong back to Singapore. The patriot inside has awaken yet again.

No comments: