Monday, July 28, 2008

Ski Trip: Less Ski, More Trip

I was away for three days since last friday. Went up a mountain with the student association. It was rather expensive but at least it was extremely memorable. Though it was not my first time to see snow, it was my first time skiing and snowboarding. And i sum it up with a one word, ouch!

Day 1
My friends from the city came over to my place. The bus was scheduled to come around 2am near my place. So they came here early to rest and prepare to go together. Near 1.45am, we carried our stuff and boarded the bus. Our five hour journey to the mountain has begun. I couldn't sleep very well on the bus and woke up near dawn and saw the sun rise over the mountains. It was an amazing sight.

We arrived at the place and it was freezing. I was underdressed and i could feel the chills biting my body. Good thing a friend of mine brought extra jackets and borrowed me one. Owe him one... We dropped our bags and got fitted with our equipment. I opted for skis as i was advised that skiing was much easier. Plus if i wanted to try snowboarding, i could switch with my friend. As i got my skis, i put them on. It was tough as the snow was making it hard for my boots to clip onto the skis itself. I took awhile to get them on. The easy part was conquered, next comes the hard part; moving on your skis. I had them on and took some time to get used to them on the snow. Then we get on the ski lift and up to the mountains we go.

Up there, i decided to try out without even attending the lesson. I fell down plenty of times as i have no experience. After a few tips from a few friends and strangers, i got the hang of it. So i challenged myself and went a little faster. As they say, the faster you are, the harder you fall. I have to agree on that... I fell a few times and kinda hurt my myself. I ended the day with a run down the simple slope and my target is not to fall. I finished the course and only fell in the end as i was stopping. It was an amazing adrenaline rush! Haha...

At the end of the day, i took off my skis and went back to the lodge. We were given our rooms, washed up for dinner and went to bed soon. The lodge was kinda like a backpackers' motel. The beds were extremely bad and the rooms were really pathetic. I guess that is the cheapest we can get during the peak season of winter. Well... More about my ski trip on the next post.

No comments: