Friday, January 07, 2005

Giving More Than Receiving

Today was a very boring day. A superb boring day... I had to do data correcting for a client. I had to edit almost 2000 rows of entries on 2 seperate Excel files. It is something that i hate doing. Practically the whole day, im editing both files. But the good part is that both Boss and Boss Wife were away from office. They had to look after their son who underwent dental surgery. Nothing serious but he went through it successfully. The only thing that help me ease the tiredness is the times where i am able to relax my mind and read intresting stuff on the web. At the end of the day, i said my goodbyes and left the office. The feeling is like having your freedom back again. I always hated working for somebody, working for a salary. Maybe it is just myself. Maybe it is how i was brought up. But i know that i would not like to work under other people and receive orders from them. I want to work for myself and see the revenue roll in. Nothing special was done today as both of them were not in. It was a rather relaxing day. A relaxing day with a boring job.

The past year i have seen and heard so many needy organisations requesting for financial aids. Each event, the collected amount is always quite huge. Some have reached their target. Some even surpassed their intended target. It we are to sum up all the donations we have made in a year, i think the sum is unimaginable. If anyone is able to provide the donations we have made last year, i would certainly want to know it. A simple example of how Singaporeans are ready to give more than receive. There was a fund raising at one of the orphanages during a weekday. I repeat, it was a working weekday. They only open their donation box in the morning. At the end of the morning, they collected more than $40,000 worth of donation. Imagaine... One weekday morning they collected that much. If they extend it to the end of the day, I wonder would they break the $500,000 limit? It is times like this that i really hold my head up high and say that i am proud to be a Singaporean. I cannot compare with those that hand out thousands of dollars to these aid requests. But i can tell them that i have participated and gave whatever i can give. Lastly, before i end this. Now is the question on whether do the donations we give out reach the intended targets. As i am typing now, aid packets are given to the Tsunami Victims. I hope the rebels of the country or insurgent armies do not get hold of these aid packets and boost their military strength. Another point to note... What happens if there is an overflow of donations to these countries?

The Singaporean Pride...

No comments: